Another shot showing the front leg at left. The lower beam with the six wheels attached
also pivots about the lower piston/scissor link. This in turn plugs into the white main leg.
Components of the main wheel bays at left, assembled at right. The upper part of the main leg
is fitted at this stage and because it is pivoted, can be folded out of harms way inside the bay
during the rest of the assembly. Once the model is finished, it can be swung down and the lower
bogie can be 'plugged' into place. Note the two bottles painted blue - they should be red !
I only found a colour photo of this area - after I had put the mainwheel bays into the model !
Components of the working wing sweep mechanism. Top & bottom plates are made
from thin aluminium sheet and the top & bottom sliders are scrap plastic card.
Test assembly of the sweep mechanism outside the model. The top & bottom plates
are bolted together with spacers in between. The whole assembly is bolted to the
lower fuselage through the centre holes at front & back.
Photo showing the wings swept fully forward. In this condition, the sections of the
wing root are not folded.
When the wings are swept back, the root sections fold up, forming small fins.
This avoids having to have a cutout in the engine nacelles.
Close-up of the folding root section. This is not strictly accurate - the pivot is meant
to be hidden and should work like a car door - up and over with an offset hinge.
This is the best I could do !
Root section folded up. To make the section fit against the engine nacelle, I had
to remove a lot of resin from the underside to make it thinner - again, a compromise
between scale accuracy and a working wing sweep.
Starting to assemble the wing sweep into the fuselage.
The shape of the lower aluminium plate was scraped out from the resin fuselage
to allow it to sit snugly in place.
Lower plate in place....
Lower slider bar, then wings in place..
Top slider bar added .....
Finally, top plate screwed into place. Wings fully forward
Same shot with wings fully swept and wing root trailing edge folded upwards.
The whole thing was then disassembled and the wings were painted gloss white.
This shows the underside with wing roots painted a sort of zinc chromate
with dark metal roots..
The whole thing is reassembled, this time with the painted wings.
In this view the two mainwheel wells are cemented in place -
as is the nosewheel well.
The only error in the whole kit - the moulded engine compressors are too
big to fit on the rear of the engine intake at left. So I cut out the compressors
from their backing plate, reduced them to the correct diameter........
... and cemented them to short lengths of plastic tube.
The tubes were then added to the engine nacelles.
The superb Master Club cockpit assembly. Dials were added using
Reheat decals. The K-36 ejection seats are supplied in the kit and
are NeOmega items.
Fully assembled cockpit.
Another view of the cockpit - pity that most of it cannot be
seen on the finished model !
Assembled nosewheel. I have added landing lights
from MV lenses, complete with electrical connections,
a small junction box with pipes leading from it and
a scratch-built spray suppressor bar.
Another shot of the nosewheel.. Oleo section is a piece of chrome tape.
Assembled mainwheels. These should just plug into the mainwheel
leg that is already fitted, folded up inside the mainwheel bay.
Almost finished.......... Assembled model on my model room carpet.
The fin and tailplane have still to be added.
View showing wings fully swept with roots folded up. I still have to apply the
final paint coat, add markings and wheels and scratch-build some u/c doors.
Wings fully forward with roots folded down.